As every parent knows, good nutrition is absolutely critical to the physical and cognitive development of children. Healthy feeding for babies and toddlers is more than the food that you caringly prepare, and a few basic hygiene tips can help ensure your child gets the most from the healthy nutrition you provide.
To help keep feeding times hygienic, we have a few tips to help you, and although we can’t promise to make feeding times any easier with your little one, we try to help make them hygienic!
- Wash their hands, it’s a great habit to get them into and we should all wash our hands before we eat to help avoid the spread of germs.
- If your child is bottle feeding then it’s really important to ensure that you sterilise their bottles, and the accepted wisdom is that you need to do this until they are about 12 months old. The bottles must be clean and grease-free, then you can sterilise using sterilising fluid or use a microwave steamer if you have one. If using formula milk it is very important that the water you are using to make the bottle is free from contaminants and has been thoroughly pre-boiled to rid the water of any bacteria.
- Once your child has graduated to solid foods then it’s really important to ensure that the food that you provide has been thoroughly cooked and prepared in a hygienic environment.
Four tips to improve food hygiene are:
- Ensure that you wash your hands before preparing any food so you don’t inadvertently contaminate food with any bacteria you may have on your hands.
- Ensure the surfaces that you’re preparing food on are hygienically clean. Dettol Anti-bacterial Surface Cleanser kills 99.9% of germs such as E. coli & Salmonella, and also has a non-bleach formula so it’s great for food contact surfaces.
- Use a clean cloth or sponge. Cloths can hide bacteria so daily, either soak in disinfectant or wash at over 60°C to kill bacteria. If your cloth or sponge isn’t hygienically clean, you could be transferring thousands of germs to your preparation surfaces!
- The high chair is a key hygiene hotspot when children are young. As any parent of a young child would know, food often goes everywhere during feeding, and so keeping the high chair hygienically clean is important in ensuring a healthy feed for your little one. Be sure to thoroughly clean it after every use, removing any traces of food. Dettol Surface Cleanser Wipes are an easy and effective way to keep your child’s* high chair hygienically clean.
*For use with children over 12 months