Getting ready for baby
It is important that you prepare food for your baby safely, to avoid cross contamination and tummy upsets
Food Safety for Your Baby
Practising good food hygiene to help protect your baby from tummy upsets is important. Find tips to help prepare food safely for your baby
- Breast milk is the best source of nutrition for babies, as it provides all the nutrients a baby needs. Breast milk contains antibodies to help protect the baby, as well as important nutrients for growth.
- Always wash your hands before and after feeding your baby, preparing a feed or handling sterilised feeding equipment.
- Clean and disinfect work surfaces before preparing bottles or feeds for baby.
- Take extra care to clean and disinfect your fridge regularly if you are using it to store feeds for your baby
- Until your baby reaches one year, you need to sterilise all their feeding equipment (eg: bottles, teats), teething aids and dummies between use by cleaning them with a clean bottle brush, detergent and hot water. Take care to rinse them thoroughly with clean running water and then sterilise them.
- Follow the manufacturers recommendations for cleaning and sterilising bottles before filling them with formula or expressed breast milk
- To reduce the risk of contamination, it is best to remove items from your steriliser and prepare feeds just before your baby needs them, using freshly boiled tap water that you allowed to cool for no more than 30 minutes
- Observe 'use-by' dates and storage instructions on formula milk and foods
- Always discard any milk left in a bottle at then end of a feed and any prepared formula milk that has not been used within 2 hours
- Once your baby is trying weaning foods (usually at around 6 months), do not save your baby's leftovers. Discard any food left in the container when your baby has finished with it.
- Discard any damaged food packages or jars with chipped glass or rusty lids
- Take extra care to clean any blenders, food processors and utensils that will come in contact with your baby's weaning foods
- Use detergent and hot water for cleaning. Make sure you scrub every surface and rinse everything thoroughly in clean, hot running water
Always read the label and use only as directed.