Learn how germs spread in the kitchen and how to help protect your family from food born illness with simple cleaning and disinfecting tips.
Food safety and preparation
Following proper food safety practices is important for your health and the health of your family. Because you cannot see, taste or smell germs, you need to rely on following the correct food safety, storage and preparation procedures that are necessary to keep food from spoiling. These basic steps will help you to reduce the threat of upset tummies and help keep your family healthy and happy.
Practice good personal hygiene
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before handling any food and immediately after handling any raw food, such as meat, poultry, fish or eggs
- Do not use tea towels to dry your hands
- Always use a clean dry towel
- Do not sneeze or cough near food
- Avoid preparing food for others if you are unwell
- Keep any cuts and sores on your hands covered while preparing food