If you’re a pet owner, you’ll know that they’re a precious part of your family. And, if they’re welcome indoors, you’ll also recognise the telltale signs they leave behind like hairs and dirty paw prints. Factor this into your family hygiene routine with a few easy home cleaning tips.
Pets and home cleaning tips
In many homes, pets are members of the family. But just like people, pets carry germs in and on their bodies. One of the most important ways you can reduce risk is by making sure your pets are fully immunised, and treated regularly for fleas, ticks, intestinal worms, and other parasites. There are also specific home cleaning tips you can follow to help keep your pet- friendly home healthy.
Home Cleaning Tips with pets
- Wash your hands after touching animals or associated toys, leashes, blankets, bedding, etc.
- Make sure pets have their own feeding dishes and utensils that you clean separately from other household items. Disinfect them regularly and rinse them thoroughly before re-use.
- Regularly clean and disinfect floors and feeding areas used by pets, and never allow pets onto food preparation surfaces. Rinse cleaned items thoroughly with water before reusing them, as some cleaning products may be toxic to animals. (Read the label.)
- Immediately clean and disinfect any surface contaminated with animal excretions
- Don’t clean pet cages and tanks in your kitchen sink. Use a bucket if necessary.
- As loveable as it might seem, do not let your pet share your plate or lick your face
- Check your pet regularly for signs of ill health and keep claws trimmed to reduce the risk of scratches. If your pet becomes ill, take it to a vet immediately.